Version 1.5 of the Lightweight UI Toolkit (LWUIT) is out!
This is the culmination of more than a year of diligent work by the LWUIT team and valuable input and feedback from the LWUIT developer community.
The result is a major revamp of the GUI Builder, and a significantly improved LWUIT toolkit with new functionality, changes, and enhancements to in many areas:
- GUI Builder with major revamp of the Resource Editor tool
- LWUIT4IO a tightly integrated Storage, Networking & Filesystem framework with ports to multiple platforms
- Far deeper theming including, theme constants, declarative style inheritance, disabled styles etc.
- New JavaSE & CDC ports allowing easier debugging/testing/profiling on the desktop as well as easier demos by deploying LWUIT applications as applets
- New Components:
- ContainerList allows variable row size list & complex list layouts
- Tabs supersedes the TabbedPane providing swipe gestures, elaborate theming and much more
- Slider provides progress indication and gauge control
- New recommended project structure for demos allowing for easier porting to RIM/Desktop/CDC
- PeerComponent allowing the embedding of native components within a LWUIT UI (applicable on some platforms)
- Improved & simplified animations for layout effects
- Multi-Images and improved SVG support
- HTML 4 tag support and public parser API for HTML/XML
- Virtual Keyboard is now built into LWUIT with deep support for native VKB input and toggling between multiple VKB’s
- Focus rewritten from scratch to be more intuitive
- Performance/RAM improvements
- Drag & Drop API, copy and paste API and much more
While you’re here, you should also check out the “Beyond Smartphones” open source project. While not using all of the latest LWUIT 1.5 features just yet it is a cool, social networking app that showcases the ease of building engaging applications using LWUIT. Released under BSD you can use it as a starting point for your own LWUIT application.
Do it with LWUIT!