JavaOne is only 6 days away… Are you ready?
Man, what a crazy couple of weeks it has been. Haven’t blogged for ages. Insanely busy with preparations for JavaOne, Java Embedded @ JavaOne, and some new products we’re working on (on the latter, stay tuned …).
There is so much activity, information, and data around JavaOne to choose from – it’s hard to stay on top of it all. I’ll try to keep it short and provide the highlights as well as my embedded point of view. Ok, here it goes:
First, in case you may not know, there are actually two (!) Java conferences this year: JavaOne itself, and Java Embedded @ JavaOne.
- JavaOne happens from Sep 30 through Oct 4 (yes, that means keynotes are on Sunday! Don’t miss them)
- Java Embedded @ JavaOne happens Oct 3 and 4 – in parallel to JavaOne
Henrik Stahl, Senior Director of Product Management, does a great job of introducing Java Embedded @ JavaOne.
Finally, if you have more questions, check out my FAQ on the Java Embedded @ JavaOne conference.
As every year, JavaOne will be packed with keynotes, technical sessions, BOFs, Hands-On-Labs (HOLs), demo grounds, and events.
New for this year are tutorials, which are a mix between an extended technical session, a BOF, and a HOL. It gives the presenters extra time to show you the ropes on a particular topic and extra time for the attendees to ask questions. But it is less of a ‘lab’ setting compared to a HOL. Should be a good addition to the JavaOne structure.
Also new this year is the Oracle OpenWorld Music Festival, which happens throughout the conference (Sun-Thu) in a couple of venues around the main event area. There is music every day and a great line-up of performers such as Macy Gray, Jimmy Cliff, The English Beat, Joss Stone, and many more. Definitely worth checking out. Of course, there is the traditional assortment of parties and events – just check the JavaOne home page!
In terms of embedded, there will be a HUGE focus on that topic at this year’s JavaOne. Oracle is making a big push for Java in the embedded space, not just by launching the Java Embedded @ JavaOne conference (see above), but embedded is embedded (pun intended!) all throughout JavaOne itself:
- Dozens of dedicated embedded technical sessions, BOFs, tutorials, and Hands-on-Labs – ranging from tiny embedded devices through complex end-to-end embedded solutions and touching on a range of different use cases and markets
- Java in embedded spreads throughout the pavilion and demo boths
- Embedded technology featuring in JavaOne keynotes (very cool – see for yourself!)
- Involvement of partners specializing in embedded solutions built on Java
- JavaOne Conference Preview
- Architects and Architecture at JavaOne
- JavaOne Gangnam Style
- Simon Ritter on JavaOne
- JavaOne Countdown, Are You Ready?
- 25 Reasons to attend JavaOne 2012
- Martin and Lewis at JavaOne 2012?
Ok, that’s it. See you on Sunday in San Francisco!